Friday, July 22, 2005

Singlehood.

“Must be nice…” I managed to muffle, smothered by the heaviness of my TS Eliot texts and Wordsworthian criticism books. I was already short of breath focusing so hard on carrying the load, but I couldn’t help but notice them. The two. They were like haunting shadows on campus. I saw them everywhere, and on days like this I wonder if they purposely made efforts to follow me. If they conjured up some stalker-like game in their twisted lovebird minds on just how much more miserable they can make me. They made my bowels loose just watching them look at each other. I’m so sick of it. Of them. The two.

So sick of me. Alone.

I boarded the bus feeling numb and hollow. In disgust, I dumped the weighty books on the velveteen seat beside me. I looked out the dirt-smeared window hoping to catch a glimpse of the clouds, but instead I saw them by the Vari Hall fountain. Snuggling. Who the heck snuggles on a 95 degree day? The two. Always the two, blocking out the sun with their butterfly kisses. I closed my eyes for the sake of my sanity and felt the bus jerk me backward as it took off.

I whispered a prayer of thanks under my breath and opened my eyes.

And that’s when I saw him...

This little Asian kid making funny faces at me. He had ring of dried red popsicle dye encircling his mouth, which cradled an extended tongue directed my way. His little arms flailing away, hitting the business man sitting beside him. Where is his mother? These kids have no manners nowadays, I swear.

I sighed, slumped lower in my seat and closed my eyes again for the rest of the journey home.

I cringed with defeat and accepted this single fact: soulmates don’t ride on the 4 o'clock bus.

5 Comments:

Blogger jasdye said...

ha ha, princess. (daughter of the King.)

nice twist.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Puddleglum said...

i SO saw you rolling your eyes as the bus jerked off. <--- Wow, i didn't mean that the bus actually...well, you know what I mean. Anyway, i could see it--headwrap and all. And lit-crit books. Maybe prince charming would sit next to you if you moved the books. In fact, books are so unsexy. Just walk around with the evening paper, a blender, an iron, an apron and some Men's size 13 slippers in tow. And a bear. It's Moslon in Canada, right? You'll snag you a homosapien that way.

pump your fist like this...
it'll be o-tay.

3:56 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

what's a soulmate?

no, seriously, if you believe in soulmates, you should be able to find them anywhere. even on the bus. or driv... nevermind. something about bus drivers that brings out the desire in y'all...

maybe the little asian kid's got a boyhood crush on you. did he pull your ponytail and put a frog on your dress, too?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Revolt said...

Jay, lol @ bus driver ref. HAHAHA...but um...honestly? I've given up the fantasy of a soulmate since highschool. I realized it was a ridiculous idea(l). I think it's possible someone can have more than one person 'meant' for them. I'm pretty sure if Adam (the original man, Adam) told Eve to step off after she sinned, God would've had a surrogate Eve ready to roll, whilst quietly and calmly exterminating the old one. It only makes sense.

And Adiz, you soooo got the imagery of me on point! And thanks for that man-loving list. Sheesh, all I need is a barbecue and a T-steak and I should have a whole bunch of prospects chasing me down. And wait a minute, I thought you cool-homie-geeks liked well versed chicks? *burns books*

Actually, I find my glasses are the ultimate turn off. How strange...I'm lookin to snag me a fellow 4-eyed creature and he's lookin the other way! What a hypocrite.

8:50 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

God hates divorce. :P

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home